Need To Know...Hydration


In recent weeks I’ve been making a real effort to step it up a notch in the health realm of my everyday life. I guess essentially I’ve been mindful of my body; trying to listen to what makes me feel good, what makes be feel no so good and then making decisions from there.

This has namely involved making an effort to get plenty of sleep, getting up and moving around when I’ve been sat at the laptop for too long studying and also restricting my intake of certain carbs (I love them but my body doesn’t love them back!). Also, I’ve always eaten plenty of veggies but I’ve upped my intake of these too and made sure I ‘eat the rainbow’ as they say.

Despite all this I’ve still had a niggling feeling that I could do better. I felt good but still a little sluggish at times…a little bit fuzzy.

So I took another look at my day and considered what was missing. The answer?

Water.

It’s such a simple solution to many ailments – headaches, tired, distracted or hungry - and one that as a result is often overlooked in a bid to achieve optimum wellbeing.

Water is vital for transporting nutrients and waste in, around and out of our bodies. It is essential for regulating our body temperature and maintaining balance within.

Think about the following…
Our brain is around 95% water
Our lungs are approximately 90% water
Our blood is 82% water
Dehydration of just 2% body weight can lead to dry skin, fatigue, weakness and thirst
5% dehydration can result in reduced aerobic capacity, increased heart rate and respiration, nausea and muscle cramps
Water loss of 9-12% of body weight can be fatal

Since increasing my water intake I’ve felt SO much better. I have more energy, feel more alert and generally better in my day to day.

My quick tips to helping you sup more…
  • Drink a BIG glass of water before you do anything else in the morning
  • Keep a glass of water in sight at all times be it on your desk at work, in the kitchen as you cook or by your bed at night
  • Keep a bottle of water with you throughout the day in your bag or car
  • Set a reminder on your phone to prompt you to rehydrate
  • Set yourself a daily target and keep a daily tally of how much you’ve drank throughout the day
  • Add a slice of lemon or lime, or a dash of fresh fruit juice to make it more interesting


Comments

Popular Posts