Banana Blueberry Muffins



Do you evil eye that chirpy do-gooder who bounds around at the crack of dawn, cheering 'good morning!' with a beaming smile plastered across her face whilst you slowly, and reluctantly, sink into your routine,  flicking on the kettle for your requisite caffeine kick, stretching and blinkering still getting used to the hour despite seeing it every weekday for the last 5 years? 

Well, I'm (not) sorry to say that I am the annoying, cheery, 'where's-the-off-button?' individual. I can bounce out of bed, crash around and demand a full conversation whilst you're in that weird realm - no longer asleep but not quite awakened as a functioning adult. I can often get more checked off my to-do list in the first few hours of the day (sometimes before Joe has even peeled himself out of bed) than I can for the rest of the day.


I like to class this as a skill of mine and use it to my advantage. Like today! In theory, I should be hungover – shock horror health and fitness fanatics do get drunk and eat rubbish on occasion - it's all about balance and moderation! 

Yesterday was Joe’s graduation!!! We had a great day celebrating his success; the sun was shining, we had good food, good company and a few too many drinks. Whilst I’m no way a big drinker for a number of reasons, this was a special occasion, the champagne was popped and we were happy, so I let go and tried not to worry about it. Good ol’ Sensible Susan still showed her face before bedtime however as I was sure to chug down a pint of water, refill my glass and chug again. 

Thank you Sensible Susan I say now, for today I awoke fresh as a daisy and had these delicious banana blueberry muffins in the oven before 8am! Made with oats, maple syrup and coconut oil they’re are gluten free*, refined sugar free, quick and healthy. Perfect as an one-the-go breakfast, a snack or even warmed and served with some yogurt for dessert!

Homemade oat flour
Dry mix
Unbaked Banana Blueberry Muffins

I got 11 of these bad boys! You could probably get a few more with smaller cases but I used what I had and don't think I'll regret having some slightly larger muffins to munch on throughout the weekend!

Banana Blueberry Muffins
Serves 11

250g oats
2 tsp baking powder
2 ripe bananas
1 egg
45g coconut oil, melted and cooled
45ml maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
175ml almond milk
150g blueberries
  1. Preheat oven to 180c and line a muffin tin with greased cases
  2. Add half of the oats to a blender and blitz into a flour
  3. Add the oat flour, remaining oats and baking powder to a large bowl and stir to combine
  4. Mash the bananas and add to the dry mix
  5. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and almond milk then add this to the dry mix and fold together
  6. Finally, add the blueberries to the mix and stir gently just to combine
  7. Pour or spoon the mix into the prepared muffin cases making sure you get some blueberries into each
  8. Place in the centre of the preheated oven for 15 minutes then rotate the tray and bake for 10-15 minutes more until a skewer comes out clean and they’re turned a yummy golden brown
  9. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing

* Ensure your oats are certified ‘gluten free’ if you’re intolerant as factory cross-contaminated could be an issue if not! 

Comments

Popular Posts