Porridge Toppers


If you’ve read any of my previous posts (here or here, and here), you will be well aware of my love firstly for breakfast itself, and then for porridge oats. Quick and simple to prepare, abundant in nutrients – fibre, vitamins, minerals and slow releasing carbohydrates – and oh, so versatile! to suit my moods.

In summer, I’ll enjoy my oats bircher-style; soaked overnight in a mix of milk and yogurt and eaten cold from the fridge with summer berries. In winter, the possibilities are endless though I’ve come across a few of my clients who are at a miss as to healthy toppings so thought I’d do my good deed for the day and share my top toppers with you!

But first!

To add some extra goodness to your bowl of oats try adding a tsp each of chia seeds and flaxseeds

Cooking your oats on the hob is traditional and some may curse me for suggesting this but to save on time and washing up, I always cook my porridge in the microwave. 35g oats, plus your flaxseeds and chia seeds, with 200-250ml water (or a mix or water and milk for a creamier finish) depending on how stodgy you like it is a foolproof method for a healthy breakfast staple

Porridge toppers
Natural Greek Yogurt

Spices. Think cinnamon, ginger, vanilla...

Pure Runny Honey

Maple Syrup


Quick berry compote. Summer berries may be well and truly past their best in the supermarkets come September but keep a stash of frozen mixed berries and you can whip a naturally sweet fruity topping up in a matter of minutes. Simply add a handful of frozen berries to a small, heatproof bowl with a little water and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and microwave for 1-2 minutes until the fruit has broken down and turned into a syrupy sauce. Alternatively, see my previous post for a quick spiced plum compote


Nut butter. Any excuse to add nut butters to a meal! There are SO many natural brands offering up different flavours these days. Meridian or Pip and Nut are two favourites of mine has they have no hidden nasties and the texture is, in my opinion, spot on! Choose from almond, cashew, maple peanut butter or coconut almond to name a few. There are also a plethora of weird and wonderful flavours popping up from reputable suppliers. Nuts ‘n More offer up pumpkin spice, salted caramel, toffee crunch or white chocolate. Granted, these have more ingredients in them but a small spoonful can go a long way mixed through a bowl of simple oats


Toasted nuts and seeds. When you’re making an effort to reduce your sugar intake – be it in natural or processed forms – simply throw a small handful of mixed nuts and seeds in a pan with a smidge of coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon for a heart-healthy, crunchy topping. Watch they don’t burn though; toast over a low-medium heat just until the nutty aromas are released

Apple, sultana and almond. Add a ½ tsp of cinnamon to your oats when cooking, grate in ½ an apple and sprinkle over a small handful of sultanas and flaked, toasted almonds for a warming, seasonal bowl of goodness

Coconut Cacao porridge. For a different flavour altogether cook your oats using coconut milk and top with some crunchy cacao nibs for a bitter-chocolate hit. Packed with healthy fats and antioxidants this one feels like you’re eating dessert for breakfast!

I’ve seen a few ideas for savoury oats just lately though I am yet to take the plunge! I like my oats as they are but I'm sure it won't be long until intrigue gets the better of me so watch this space...I’ll keep you posed on that one! You never know, I could be converted and try to convert you too!


Comments

Popular Posts