Breakfast Saviour!


If you’ve read my previous posts you may have picked up on the fact that I am a breakfast food fiend! I love oats, pancakes, muesli and eggs, granola, yogurt and proper, thick cut toast. Before I even understood the importance of eating regular, healthy meals to manage and control blood sugar and energy levels and to maintain a healthy weight, I couldn’t skip meals, especially breakfast!
When I was working as a pastry chef I had ugly 5am wake-up calls and at that time in the morning even I - she who goes to bed at night often dreaming of her next meal - couldn’t face hauling myself out of bed, making and forcefully eating breakfast but I knew I’d be hungry soon enough and that I’d want something tasty and nutritious. Welcome overnight oats!
Essentially a new name for Bircher muesli, and certainly not a new phenomenon, overnight oats became my go-to for working mornings as they’re so simple and quick to prepare and need to be done so in advance. I’d make a couple days worth and store them in the fridge in jars with different flavourings or add ins to keep things interesting then simply grab one each morning and enjoy it at work once I had actually woken up and was read to face the day.
A healthy breakfast that can be prepared in advance; filling, delicious and portable, with so many variations, if you’re someone who skips breakfast because you’re too busy, likes that extra 20 minutes in bed or simply cannot face eating first thing, then do give these a go! I’ve included my base recipe and listed some of my favourite flavourings and add-ins but there are loads of different combinations to try!

Basic Overnight Oats
Serves 1

½ a banana
40g jumbo oats
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp flaxseeds
125ml milk (dairy or nut-based)
1 tbsp natural yogurt
  1. In a jar, or suitable container, mash the banana with a fork.
  2. Mix in the oats, chia seeds and flaxseeds then add the milk and yogurt and mix until everything is combined.
  3. Leave it here if you want it plain or mix through your chosen flavourings and toppings now* then leave in the fridge overnight.
*If I’m topping with nuts or seeds, I like to sprinkle these on just before I dig in so they stay nice and crunchy and you get a bit of contrasting texture.

Flavourings - Cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, raw cacao powder, fruit (more banana, berries, grated apple or pear), peanut butter (or any nut butter)

Add ins - More berries, raisins, grated apple, toasted nuts and/or seeds, coconut flakes, granola, cacao nibs, bee pollen, more peanut butter!

Comments

Popular Posts