Tofu Vegetable Curry



So Joe has been away in France watching the Euros for the past week and whilst I have missed him so much, I have to admit I have loved the fact that I can eat veggies, veggies and more VEGGIES!

Let me give you a little background on Joe and I…we’ve been together since we were just 15 years old (we’re proper ‘high school sweethearts’ with prom King and Queen crowns to prove it)! We practically lived together from the age of 17 and then bought our first house at 20. We’re now in our second home and have been together for 10 and a half years. Whilst there are still things we learn about each other and we’ve so much growing up to do, both on our own and as a team, I like to think I know him pretty well.

For instance, I know when he’s trying to pull my leg. As much as he tries to keep it together, his face betrays him, the corner of his mouth in particular, and I can see the beginning of a smirk…he’ll deny it, but I know.

Secondly, Joe is never going to be on time. He knows it. I know it. Everyone knows it. But he’ll still insist he’ll be home in 20minutes. Most often, he hasn’t even left the office!

Another thing. Joe doesn’t really do vegetarian meals. He’s typically a meat and two veg man. Or a spaghetti bolognese and garlic bread man. Or a pizza man. I on the other hand, LOVE veggies, salads, beans, lentils and tofu. So, I’ve taken advantage of his absence this past week and packed in the vegetables. Tonight was my last dinner-for-one before Joe comes home and I went all in. After a fridge raid I threw all of the odds and sods in a pan, added some spices and some coconut milk, gave it a squeeze of zesty lime and a flutter of punchy coriander and served with some boiled brown rice.  It was delicious! So healthy, so simple and also so adaptable as it can be made using any vegetables you have sitting in the veg drawers at the end of the week.

Before I give you the recipe, I want to tell you another thing I know about Joe. He is the kindest, most considerate man I know. He's funny, smart, loving and he’ll do anything for anyone. Joe has been so incredibly supportive of me these past few months. When it felt like my world was turned upside down and my confidence knocked after losing my job and when I lose face or focus on the end goal, he has been the one to pick me back up and support me. It is a cliché but Joe is my rock and I can’t wait for him to come home…I have his favourite meal, a bloody packet mix Tuna Pasta Bake, on the menu for his first home cooked dinner, my way of saying 'I love you'. 

Tofu Vegetable Curry
Serves 4

½ tbsp coconut oil
1 red onion, chopped
½ - 1 red chilli (depending on how hot you like it), chopped
2 garlic cloves, choped
1 knob fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp curry powder
½ tsp cayenne, optional
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 pepper, thinly sliced
100g chestnuts mushrooms, sliced
1 block firm tofu, drained, pressed for at least an hour and cubed
400ml vegetable stock
400ml coconut milk
100g sugar snap peas, chopped
Juice of 1 lime, fresh coriander and brown rice, to serve 
  1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan; add the onion and fry gently for about 5 minutes until softened but not browned
  2. Add the chilli, garlic, ginger, curry powder and cayenne (if using); cook out for 2-3 minutes more
  3. Add the stock and coconut milk, the broccoli, pepper, mushrooms and tofu and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
  4. Add the sugar snap peas and simmer for 5 minutes more or until the broccoli is tender
  5. Squeeze over the lime juice and serve with the rice and some fresh coriander

Comments

Popular Posts