Sweet Potato Brownies



Trying to eat healthy but struggling with those sweet cravings? Been there…still there sometimes!

I can quite happily turn down a slice of cake or a typical sweet but when it comes to brownies it’s a whole different story. The gooey, chocolatey indulgence simply cannot be missed. However, having made more batches that I can count whilst working as a pastry chef I know exactly what it takes to create that heavenly morsel which makes me think again when the plate is passed around.

There are so many ‘healthier’ brownie variations out there now, some good and some not so much. Today I finally got around to baking a batch of sweet potato brownies from the Deliciously Ella cookbook. Whilst both sweet and regular potatoes are starchy sources of carbohydrates, offer comparable calories per 100g and provide key nutrients, the sweet potato triumphs in terms of its micronutrient profile.

With almost twice the amount of vitamin C and a hefty dose of vitamin A the sweet potato is great for the immune and inflammatory systems, for maintaining healthy skin and vision and for optimum cell growth. What’s more, sweet potatoes contribute to your 5-a-day where regular potatoes don’t.

Now, these brownies are refined sugar free but they still contain a generous amount of sugar from the dates and maple syrup. Taste-wise however, they’re not overly sweet, perhaps due to the bitter raw cacao powder. I personally loved them, and I think you could too! Make them not with the view to match your usual brownie love but to satisfy that sweet tooth without feeling guilty afterwards and with the knowledge that you’ll be getting a boost of goodness with every bite!

The recipe can be found here:

I think next time I may add a dash of cinnamon or some chunks of good quality dark chocolate for extra chocolatey gooeyness but for now I'm happy with a stash of these in the freezer!

Comments

Popular Posts