Aaaaand Breathe

Life isn’t easy. Just when you think you’re getting on top of things, BOOM! ARGGGH! Something happens – big or small – and you start to question, start to wonder and start to feel the anxiety creeping in.

Or perhaps that’s just me.


I’ve been looking into ways of introducing more balance and perspective into my life. Previously I tried to jump on the yoga bandwagon. Relax the mind, body and soul…yes please! Only I found that I don’t have the patience for sitting around working out whether or not I’m ‘present’ whilst breathing to the rhythm of the ocean.

Joke. I’m actually really jealous of yogaists…yoga-doers? Yogees? I realise there’s more to it that the downward dog and being ‘at one’ and I’d love to become a yogi (?!?!?). But, until then here are some ways in which I plan to take back control and avoid those messy freakouts!

Recognise – take a mental note of how I’m feeling and what has made me feel that way. If it’s something I can at least put my finger on then the chances are I can either do something about it or try to accept it for what it is and move on

Make lists – this is something I’ve done for ages but more recently my lists are jotted on a scrap of paper and lost or mentally written in my head – I’m incredibly forgetful so this is never going to work! I’m making a new promise to myself to write proper lists, help them up to date and checked off

Set goals – not too dissimilar to keeping a list but more a list of ambitions, wishes and progressions I want to achieve. This means sitting down to think about what I want and how I am going to achieve it. Having it written down makes it somewhat more concrete

Put the tech down – this one is major! I was only saying yesterday how much of a hypocrite I have become. I’ve always been one to shy away from technology but in trying to build a business as a personal trainer and nutritional advisor with Instagram, Facebook and this blog, emails and messages my phone or the laptop is never far from reach. So much content is overwhelming, I need to limit usage

Take some 'me' time – simple. For me this will be to read again; more than just the odd page here and there. A little ‘me’ time to relax and almost take myself away from reality for even just a short period of time

Sleep – I’m tired of waking up tired; feeling like I haven’t slept a wink and counting down the minutes until I can crawl back into bed. I feel physically and mentally drained and can’t remember the last time I slept in. Having such an active job I need to prioritise sleep to be at my best

Be positive – another straightforward one but instead of seeing the downside its important to look for the silver lining

Hopefully some of you can take away positives from this post and incorporate a few of the ideas into your own life in a bid to regain control and achieve an element of balance. 

We all get stressed every now and then, sometimes for good reason, other times because of the littlest happening, but take a step back, take a few deep breaths and don’t be afraid to speak up when you’re feeling the pressure. 

In terms of our health, stress raises our cortisol hormone levels that in turn encourages our bodies to store fat and tells it to replenish energy levels even though you haven’t expended anything. The result? A bigger waistline. Add to this raised blood pressure, headaches and various other stress-related illness and there’s no better time than the present to combat your worries, anxieties and negative thoughts

Comments

Popular Posts